Professor Essien, who joined the firm in this capacity, brings to Axis over 40 years of legal practice and trans-jurisdictional understanding of the law. In addition to having been called to the Ghanaian Bar, Professor Essien is also licensed to practice in the New York State Bar. His practice concentrations are in the areas of energy law, oil & gas law, corporate law and US immigration law.
He was also admitted to the Bars of the United States District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and the United States Court of Appeals, 2nd and 3rd Circuits. He taught torts and property law at the University of Ghana, Legon from 1976-1977 and at the University of Jos in Jos, Nigeria from 1977 to 1981. He served as legal assistant to the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in the Hague and the Netherlands in 1986 and as consultant to the United Nations Centre on Transnational Corporations in New York, New York from 1989 to 1993
In 2017 he was appointed as rector of Nyansapo College in East Legon. He has published widely in learned journals on international and comparative law. His chapter “Regulating Transnational Corporations Law: An Unending Quest for Global Economic Justice” appeared in a Festschrift to Dr. Samuel K.B. Asante in August of last year.
Organizations & Memberships
- Member – Ghana Bar Association (From 1977)
- Member – New York State Bar (From 1985)
- Member – United States District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Member – Bars of United States Court of Appeals, 2nd & 3rd Circuits
- Lecturer of Torts & Property Law – University of Ghana, Legon (1976 – 1977)
- Lecturer of Torts & Property Law – University of Jos in Jos, Nigeria (1977 – 1981 )
- Served as Legal Assistant to the Iran-US
- Partner – Victor Essien & Associates (New York City, US)
- LL.B (Hons) – University of Ghana, Legon
- LL.M – University of Ghana, Legon
- LL.M (Int’l) – New York University
- J.S.D. – New York University